Restoration of the church clockThe current Danish Church of St. Katharine was built in 1826 by Ambrose Poynter as the chapel for the the Royal Hospital of St Katharine. St Katharine's was badly damaged in WWII and after the war was donated to the Danish Church and restored. It was reopened by King Frederik and Queen Ingrid of Denmark in 1952. Since 1985 the Danish Church has also been the location of the 'Danish Seamen's Church in Foreign Harbours', an organisation with origins from 1867. The church serves 30,000 - 40,000 Danes living in Greater London, as well as further afield. Restoration work is addressing the fabric of the turrets as well as the blue & gold clock face and mechanism.