Restoration of caryatidsSt Pancras Church was consecrated by the Bishop of London in 1822. It is a particularly good example of the Greek Revival movement, and includes two porches with copies of the caryatids on the Erechtheion in Athens, inspired by the architect's Grand Tour and the arrival of one of the originals in London. The caryatids were modelled by John Rossi (formerly a modeller at Coade's Manufactory) and built up in terracotta pieces around an iron structure. Each holds an empty jug or torch to symbolise their position as guardians of the entrance to the crypt below.
The restoration project will include an x-ray survey to locate all metalwork in the statues. Much of the ironwork will need to be removed and replaced as rust is causing significant cracks to the terracotta.