Restoration of the 19th century drinking fountainErected around 1870, this drinking fountain is built of Portland stone, plain with Gothic designs. Its upper part is open, topped by a pyramidal roof with a small finial. The basin is granite and the original dog trough has been replaced at some point with a deep metal trough. No functional decorative fittings survive, though two rosettes at the top suggest spout fittings were of a similar design. The fountain has minor structural issues - hairline cracks - but is in reasonably robust condition. Most of the fittings are missing, areas of the Portland stone are worn and the stone dog trough has been replaced with a deep rectangular metal alternative, which is now blocked with leaves and debris. The project will include cleaning of the stone, removing rust stains and addressing the cracks. New plumbing will be inserted. The inappropriate dog trough will be replaced with a granite basin to match the drinking basin and decorative fittings will be cast as copies of the rosette push button type. The surviving metal will be cleaned and restored, and the unattractive 1977 steel plaque inside the fountain will be replaced. Finally, Thames Water will be commissioned to run fresh drinking water from the nearby source to the fountain. The red brick surround will be replaced with York stone.