Restoration of the gates and brickwork.By the 1920s Chiswick has a growing working population who had moved to work in industries developing in the area: Cherry Blossom Boot Polish Factory, Sanderson's Wallpaper Factory and Fullers' Brewery. Living in crowded conditions they needed open space and fresh air. In 1923 Chiswick District Council bought 200 acres of riverside land from the Duke of Devonshire as part of its plan to open up the southern tip of the parish. To give the entrance a sense of grandeur and encourage civic pride, a set of grand iron gates were designed for Promenade Approach.
After the path was flooded in 1947 a flood barrier was formed from old wartime rubble, cutting the road off from the main area of the park and recreational facilities were demolished. The gates have since fallen into disrepair becoming heavily rusted and have distorted so badly that they must be kept closed.
HOLT is advising on the restoration of Promenade Approach and has awarded a grant to restore the gates and adjacent brick piers so that they can be used by people accessing the park and recreate the sense of grandeur initially intended for the main entrance.