Restoration of Northumberland House arch in Bromley-By-BowThis monumental arch was once part of Northumberland House – a vast Jacobean mansion at the far western end of the Strand which was the London residence of earls and dukes of Northumberland. It once framed the south elevation of the palace’s Strand entrance which was refurbished in the 1750s by Daniel Garrett.
Previously described as “the most notable house in the most characteristic of streets”, Northumberland House is now considered one of London's greatest losses after being demolished by the Ministry of Works in 1874 to provide public access along the Thames Embankment. Much of the stonework was sold off, but the arch was bought as a decorative feature by George Rutty who owned a large house in Bromley-by-Bow. The arch, and a Percy lion which was moved to Syon House, are the only masonry elements known to have survived from Northumberland House.
The arch was re-erected in 1998 on St Leonard's Street as the entrance to a new community centre, the Bromley-By-Bow centre, but is now in poor repair due to pollution and weathering. HOLT is covering the total cost of restoration and will guide the conservation works.