Restoration of Cranford Park stablesCranford Park was settled in the late Saxon period and later had two moated medieval manor houses. The earls of Berkeley owned Cranford from 1618 - one of the oldest families in England with Berkeley Castle as its country seat.
In 1722, the third earl rebuilt the house and stables, re-landscaped the pleasure grounds and park, built a moated ice house and diverted the River Crane to form a boating lake. The Berkeleys used Cranford for entertaining royals and politicians, and also as a hunting lodge. The stables had 28 stalls and loose boxes, with further work around 1780.
The family moved out of the house in 1918 and in 1932 the house and estate were sold to Hillingdon Council. In 1944, the house and southern stable wing were demolished. Following public protest, the remaining stables were saved. The park was officially opened to the public in 1949.
The restoration of the stables will involve sensitive repair with traditional finishes and restoring the original fittings, as part of a wider project including relandscaping and visitor facilities at the site.