Restoration of the 1930s laylightsBuilt to the south of Peckham Rye in the 1930s, The Ivy House was originally called the Newlands Tavern and was designed by the in-house Truman Brewery architect, AE Sewell. The pub had a Refectory and Ballroom and encouraged families to visit. The Ivy House retains nearly all of its 1930s detailing, as well as neo-Classical and neo-Tudor features common to pubs of this time. The Ivy House was originally next to a row of shops but these were destroyed by a V1 flying-bomb in July 1944. During the 1970s the pub (then called the Newlands Tavern) hosted popular pub rock bands. The 1930s coloured laylights in the Refectory and Ballroom were designed to bring light and air into the rear rooms of the pub, but were blocked in the latter half of the 20th century, probably for acoustic reasons. Their restoration by HOLT will enhance the public appreciation and appearance of The Ivy House.