Restoration of the Glossop Memorial Fountain
The Reverend Henry Glossop, born in Soho in 1780, was the Vicar of All Saints Church, Isleworth. A great benefactor of the school and almshouses, at the marriage of the Prince of Wales laid on a street party for all the children of Isleworth, who were given rosettes to wear. After his death in 1869 a drinking fountain was erected in Upper Square in his memory. Water was provided free of charge by the Grand Junction Water Works.
For 150 years, the fountain has been at the centre of Isleworthâ€™s community. In the early 20th century John Weathers, a market gardener, would stand at the fountain twice a week and read out the newspaper for those unable to read. It was shrouded in bunting and wreathes during commemorative events. During WWII, the word â€˜Isleworthâ€™ on the fountain was covered by a plate to prevent the anticipated German soldiers identifying where they had landed. Restoration includes replacing the damaged plinth, repointing, poulticing of the copper staining and replacing missing parts including the copper quatrefoil plates to match and replacing the six broken panels of glass on the lantern.