Restoration of the Statue of Thomas Guy, Guy’s Hospital
Guyâ€™s Hospital was founded in 1722 when Thomas Guy, governor of St Thomasâ€™s Hospital and a successful bookseller, speculator and philanthropist, was granted permission to build a hospital at London Bridge for â€˜incurablesâ€™. The historic buildings around the Georgian courtyard â€“ the hall, chapel, matronâ€™s house and surgeonâ€™s house â€“ are still used by the hospital.
The courtyard is currently a tarmac carpark and will be converted to open public space, an oasis for crowded Southwark. The building elevations will be deep cleaned and repaired, there will be new public seating added around the courtyard and it will be repaved and pedestrianised.
The Thomas Guy statue will be removed from its base, cleaned and set back with a new paving surround. The stone pedestal will be repaired and repointed and the railings will be repaired.
The restoration of the Thomas Guy statue is supported by Mount Anvil Ltd.