Reinstatement of the Assembly Room stained glass windowsIn 1843, Charles Dickens wrote in his weekly journal ‘Household Words’ of the lack of ‘a large hospital for incurables’. Inspired by Dickens’ words, Victorian philanthropist Rev Andrew Reed opened the first ‘Hospital for Incurables’ in 1854. Dickens was an early supporter. The hospital moved to Melrose Lodge, Putney in 1863, and the existing building was redesigned on the advice of Florence Nightingale, who recommended large day rooms with high ceilings and windows to optimise air circulation, believed to prevent miasmas. The Assembly Room had stained glass which was later destroyed by WWII bombing and replaced with plain glass.
HOLT has supported the hospital from inception in restoring the Assembly Room stained glass, which is being redesigned by Chapel Studio using a single archive image.