Refurbishment of the 1950s National Film Theatre signThe National Film Theatre - renamed BFI Southbank after a major redevelopment in 2007 - was designed by architect Norman Engleback. As part of his design for the NFT, Engleback included a distinctive perspex and metal sign on the side of Waterloo Bridge. It was in place when the NFT opened in 1957, and lit up to display the NFT's name animated with a colourful cascade effect. The original sign is believed to have been made by Strand Electric (now part of Philips).
The sign is in poor condition and does not light up. A HOLT grant will allow for extensive restoration of the sign. A new lighting control system will replicate the sign's original cascade effect.