Laurie Grove Baths
Goldsmiths Centre for Contemporary Art, University of London, New Cross, London SE14 6NW

Restoration of Victorian water tanks.

Restoration of Victorian water tanks.

The Laurie Grove baths opened in New Cross in 1898. The baths had three swimming pools; large, small and a 'south pool', plus 1st and 2nd class slipper baths. Demand, especially during the summer months, was great and mains water needed to be stored, which could be released during a drought. The two open tanks above the westernmost building are made from braced cast iron panels riveted together and are being converted into high quality gallery space, opening in September 2018.