Restoration of railings and reinstallation of sun-burner chandeliers
Hoxton Hall is one of two surviving Victorian saloon-style music halls in London. Music hall entertainment developed out of the coffee shops of the 18th century and became increasingly popular by the 1830s. Hoxton Hall (originally named Macdonaldâ€™s Music Hall) was built in 1863. The audience ate and drank in Macdonaldâ€™s auditorium during shows which included â€˜the wonderful performing Russian cat, learned Canary birds and White Miceâ€™. From 1879 the building was used by a temperance mission and then as a Quaker meeting house â€“ which contributed to the almost complete survival of its 19th century interior. The project includes the restoration of the ornate sunburner chandeliers, reverse chandeliers which provided decorative lighting and disguised a ventilation shaft.