Restoration of the William G Drew stained glass window
The Chapel of the Licensed Victuallers' Asylum, now known as Caroline Gardens Chapel, was built in 1850 as the centrepiece of a grand row of almshouses. The chapel had a direct hit from a bomb during WWII, which destroyed its roof and damaged the interior. This remains today an evocative space, still blackened with soot from the fire. One of the stained glass windows commemorates a Victorian philanthropist, William G Drew, but its glass was broken and dangerously bowed. The Heritage of London Trust has given a grant to restore it. The chapel itself will be restored over the coming years.