Restoration of the early 18th century gate piersBurgh House was built in 1704 by Henry and Hannah Sewell. It was enlarged around 1720 by Dr William Gibbons, Hampstead’s chief physician, at a period when the area was a flourishing spa. The house’s gates were added by Dr Gibbons and their wrought iron includes his initials. The red brick gate piers have been deteriorating rapidly, due to the banded cement render added in the 1970s. The render is being removed, the exposed brick and the brickwork restored, damaged bricks replaced and the gates repainted and gilded as they were originally.