Cranford’s Village Lock-Up

There was a wonderful turnout for this morning’s unveiling of Cranford’s restored village lock up. The imam of Cranford’s mosque, the rector of Cranford parish, three Hounslow ward councillors, children from the local primary school, the Metropolitan Police, Feltham History Group, HOLT trustees and The Radcliffe Trust who supported our grant – all festooned with confetti! The project has been a great partnership with Hounslow Council who we have worked with over the last year, alongside conservators Taylor Pearce.

Cranford’s lock up was built in 1838 to hold local rogues caught by the parish constable. Once the Metropolitan Police built stations with holding cells, these small buildings – once found across the country – went out of use. Cranford’s survived when it was recognised as of special interest in 1939. It had been on the Heritage at Risk register and was in very poor condition.

Visit it in High Street, Cranford, TW5 9RG.

Click here to read a piece on

Leave a Reply