What's new?

Monthly Archives: May 2017

A recent project by DBR Conservation to restore the 18th century coat of arms over the entrance of the Apothecaries’ Hall, Blackfriars. The figures had very badly decayed with wet rot but were carefully reconstructed… the unicorn and rhinos received new horns and the whole was repainted and regilded. It will return to its place in the Apothecaries’ courtyard over the summer.

We were thrilled to bring our Patron to visit two HOLT projects in Barnet this week. One, the concrete Grade II water tower of Avenue House, built by Henry ‘Inky’ Stephens in 1880, is about to go under restoration. The second is the remarkable Barnet Physic Well, a 1930s well house over a 17th century brick vault. The vault was once visited by Samuel Pepys and is still in near perfect condition, filled with clear water. However the well house itself is in a poor state and needs urgent repair. After decades of local hopes for the building, HOLT has helped get the project off the ground. Our royal visit marks the launch of the restoration project, and Barnet Museum will now be taking this forward, building on their HOLT grant.

Group photo L to R: Jonathan Hardy, Urban Design and Heritage Manager, Barnet Council; Cllr Robert Cornelius, Leader of the Council; Elizabeth Whitbourn, Heritage at Risk Projects Officer, Historic England; Mike Jordan, Chairman, Barnet Museum; HRH The Duke of Gloucester; Nicola Stacey, Director, Heritage of London Trust; Mike Noronha, Curator, Barnet Museum; Chris Andrewes, Volunteer, Barnet Museum; Robert Langley, Volunteer, Barnet Museum; Dudley Fishburn, Chairman, Heritage of London Trust; Philip Davies, Trustee, Heritage of London Trust; Martin Russell, Deputy Lieutenant for Greater London & the Lord Lieutenant’s representative in Barnet.